February Apple Sales Show a Decline

February Apple Sales Show a Decline

AppleBabyApple sales in February fell 5.4 percent compared to the same month in 2016, according to Stemilt Grower’s latest Fruit Tracker Fast Facts video analysis.

While apple volume is up year-over-year the video shows most regions fell short of performance, excluding the East.

“February is historically a strong month for apple sales,” said Brianna Shales, Stemilt communication manager. “Retailers sold 59 pounds of apples more on average in February, but brought in $190 dollars less weekly than in February 2016. This year’s larger crop and fruit size is ripe with opportunities for promotion, especially on the bulk side.”

Bulk remained the primary purchasing method for apple, accounting for 59.1 percent of sales. Bag sales accounted for the remaining 40.9 percent.

The top five apple varieties in February 2017 were:

  • Gala at 28.2 percent of sales;
  • Fuji at 13.8 of sales;
  • Red delicious at 12.3 percent of sakes;
  • Granny smith at 11.% of sales;
  • HoneyCrisp at 11.1 of sales.

“Club apples are an important part of the apple category, and there are still opportunities to promote them this spring,” Shales said in the release. “Our signature variety, Piñata, will be available through May and we are seeing some of the best fruit of the year right now coming out of storage, with great color and dessert eating qualities.”

Apples accounted for an average of 6.8 percent of national produce sales in January 2017, which dropped to 6.5 percent in February.

About Stemilt

Stemilt Growers is a leading tree fruit growing, packing and shipping company based in Wenatchee, WA and is owned and operated by the Mathison family.   Stemilt Growers is the leading shipper of sweet cherries and one of the nation’s largest suppliers of organic tree fruits.  Stemilt has also demonstrated a commitment to sustainable agriculture and social responsibility since 1989, when founder Tom Mathison launched the company’s Responsible Choice program . For more information about Stemilt Growers, visit www.stemilt.com.