Broccoli has won for the second consecutive year in Green Giant’s annual poll of Americans’ favorite vegetable,
More than 5,000 consumers, from ages 13 to 73, took the frozen/canned vegetables company’s survey, and broccoli placed first in 39 states. The results were released in connection with National Eat Your Vegetables Day earlier this year, according to a news release.igure>
Here are some interesting findings from the survey, which was open-ended, letting consumers choose any vegetable:
- Potatoes ranked first only in Arkansas, a loss of four states from last year;
- Of the 7 states choosing corn, Iowa wasn’t included. (Yes sweet corn and field corn are vastly different, but still …);
- Despite the juicing craze that’s boosted celery prices to new heights, the fad didn’t elevate the stalk to the top in any state;
- Cucumbers did not carry a single state, unlike in 2018, when New Mexico and Louisiana residents chose them above other vegetables; and
- The “orange” candidate: Nevada and North Dakota opted for carrots;
- Asparagus led Alaska polling and cauliflower was the favorite in Montana, the first times for both vegetables.
The survey, conducted through Suzy, a company that offers an online consumer insights platform, took place April 26-May 10, according to the release.