ATHENS, GA – Carrier Transicold has raised the bar for electric auxiliary power unit (APU) performance with its new lithium-ion ComfortPro® electric model that delivers double the air conditioning runtime provided by some competitive conventional battery-powered APUs. Carrier Transicold is a part of Carrier Global Corporation (NYSE: CARR), the leading global provider of healthy, safe, sustainable and intelligent building and cold chain solutions.
“The new ComfortPro model is the first electric APU capable of providing cab cooling for extended periods formerly only achieved by diesel-powered units, thanks to its extended-capacity lithium-ion batteries and proprietary embedded power management system,” said Ryan Rubly, product manager, power management systems, Truck Trailer Americas, Carrier Transicold.
Carrier Transicold will feature the lithium-ion ComfortPro APU among other electric technologies at the Advanced Clean Technologies Expo at the Long Beach Convention Center this month (booth 547).
Key differentiators of the new APU:
- 7,500 BTU/hours of cab cooling that can double the runtime provided by some competitive absorbent glass mat (AGM) battery powered electric APUs, delivering continuous air conditioning that extends well beyond what is required for overnight rest breaks and up to 17 hours under certain real-world conditions.
- Quiet, emissions-free performance with relatively few moving parts, eliminating the maintenance required of diesel-powered APUs.
- Advanced lithium-ion technology, engineered specifically for long-haul commercial vehicle applications, provides an extremely power-dense and durable solution, charging faster with less performance degradation over time compared to conventional AGM batteries.
- Five-year lithium-ion battery warranty,providing more than twice the typical lifespan of AGM batteries and outlasting the truck trade cycle for many fleets.
- Reduced APU weight by 26% using two DOT-certified lithium-ion batteriescompared to Carrier Transicold’s standard electric APU, which uses four AGM batteries.
- Lower cost of ownership than other APU alternatives thanks to its long-lifebatteries coupled with fuel savings and minimal maintenance requirements.
All ComfortPro electric APUs include a power plant, an under bunk climate control unit and a programmable control panel, featuring Carrier Transicold’s exclusive Cabin Pre-Cool Lock that helps extend battery life by assuring the preferred cabin temperature is attained before the APU takes over. Available options add heating, power for hotel loads, shore power connectivity and truck engine preheating, so fleets and owner-operators can customize ComfortPro electric APUs to suit specific needs.
APUs are used by the trucking industry to support cab climate control when the vehicle is stationary during driver rest periods, saving fuel, reducing engine idling and wear along with related emissions and providing regulatory compliance. The comfort and conveniences provided by APUs also help fleets with driver retention.
For additional details about Carrier Transicold’s complete line of APUs, turn to the experts in Carrier Transicold’s North America dealer network.
About Carrier Transicold
Carrier Transicold helps improve transport and shipping of temperature-controlled cargoes with a complete line of equipment and services for refrigerated transport and cold chain visibility. For more than 50 years, Carrier Transicold has been an industry leader, providing customers around the world with advanced, energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable container refrigeration systems and generator sets, direct-drive and diesel truck units, and trailer refrigeration systems. Carrier Transicold is a part of Carrier Global Corporation, the leading global provider of healthy, safe, sustainable and intelligent building and cold chain solutions. For more information, visit transicold.carrier.com. Follow Carrier on Twitter: @SmartColdChain, on Facebook at Carrier Transicold Truck/Trailer U.S. & Canada and on LinkedIn at Carrier Transicold Truck Trailer Refrigeration.