The Mexican berry industry expects to have a 12% increase in blueberry, raspberry, strawberry and blackberry exports for the 2022 season, with shipments – primarily to the neighboring U.S. market – already up to 386,894 tons.
The Mexican National Berry Export Association (Aneberries) reports growers in the country were expected to export more than 584,000 tons of soft fruit by the close of 2022, compared with 462,000 tons in 2021.
Aneberries notes the total exported by June 16 comprised 62,011 tons of blueberries, 50,900 tons of blackberries, 206,238 tons of strawberries and 67,744 tons of raspberries.
Some 95% of Mexican berry exports are destined for the U.S. market, with the remaining 5% divided between 37 countries, covering Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia.
According to Aneberries data, the current planted area in Mexico for berries totaled 34,595 acres.