Posts Tagged “Peruvian citrus exports”

Peruvian Citrus Exports to North America Soar

By |

Exports for Peruvian citrus have soared by 40 percent this season through early season over a year ago to 198,996 metric tons (MT). The increase is primarily due to mandarins

It highlights the growth of the mandarin led by the W. Murcott variety, in citrus exports from the Andean country.

The main citrus varieties exported by Peru from the beginning of 2020 to mid-August are: W. Murcott with 61,920MT (+ 57 percent), Satsuma 35,672MT (+ 32 percent), Tango 29,042MT (+ 76 percent), Minneola and / or Orlando 15,890 tons (-2 percent), Valencia 10,656 tons (+ 65 percent).

North American was the country’s leading market, to which 54 percent of exports were shipped. This year the market has received 61 percent more Peruvian citrus than last year.

It is followed by Europe with shipments of 70,251 tons (+ 24 percent) and concentrating 35 percent of the total; Asia with shipments of 13,334 tons (+ 12 percent) and acquiring 7 percent of the total; Latin America with 7,654 tons (+ 19 percent) and a 4 percent share; and Africa with 710 tons (+ 10 percent) and representing 1 percent of the total.

The main citrus exporter in Peru is the Consorcio de Productores de Frutas (CPF), which shipped 49,016 tons (+ 36 percent) from the beginning of the year until the mid August.

Read more »

Exports of Peruvian Citrus are Expected to Increase this Season

By |

Peruvian citrus exports are building as the season moves further into March. Volumes are seen as being similar to last year when movement increased 2 percent. This season about a 5 percent increase is forecast.

Procitrus, Peru’s Citrus Producer’s Association, points out mandarin exports, represent 81 percent of all fruit in the category. Behind mandarins are oranges with 11 percent of all citrus exports and limes with 7 percent.

Main primary export markets for Peruvian citrus remain the U.S. – with 35 percent market share – the U.K. – 19 percent – and Holland – 16 percent. While these markets remain pretty consistent for the industry, exporters continue looking for new markets.

Weather also looks to be favorable for the season and the industry anticipates strong quality and quantity.

Read more »